14 Jun 2017

E3 so far

I've been busy with Strike Zone: Wotan and Canadian Tabletop Gamer that I've neglected this site. I just finished my night courses for my second job. I've been busy enjoy the summer that finally showed up and I've got fathers day coming up - which as Papa Bear is out of country for the 3rd year in a row I spend it with Red.

My week is my shaving off my awesome beard, slap on my uniform for a night at the second job after a long day at work. Tomorrow I will be going to Ottawa Rib Fest and have an offsite meeting for my second job. Thursday is WIN where I will be playing Doc over control of the Nomad space station on the way I will be picking up Burns and some more smoked meat. Friday is a half day at work before I kill the rest of it at Ribfest with all the previous knowledge that I gathered from sampling on Wed and Thurs. Saturday I'll be with Lady Bear and her family before Sunday is old school Ghost Recon (2001) with the Heroes Unleashed mod, some BBQ and scotch. Next week I start my 30 day no sugar challenge and roll into a PT schedule.

So with everything going on I almost missed E3... sweet Christmas I'm glad youtube and the internets won't let me forget.


I'm looking forward to the following games:

Most Excited to Play: Far Cry 5

I'm a fan of Far Cry since Far Cry 2. I loved the buddy system in Far Cry 2 which was lost in the follow up games; Far Cry 3, Far Cry Blood Dragon, and Far Cry 4. Seeing the buddy system again looks awesome. I also love the fact that you can build your character. I like the idea of the game fighting back once you start taking locations. It got really quiet after you cleared out all the outposts and bases. After a while I'd only run into enemy forces while they were fighting my allies or in the backwoods far from any allied base.

Far Cry 4 had my favorite co-op since Halo but you could never do the campaign missions. Far Cry 5 is allowing players to go through the entire game in co-op. Lastly the setting and themes; independent people in Montana caught up with Right-Wing Cultists and Militants and trying to reclaim control of there homes.

Most Interest: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

XCOM2 is a brilliant game. I tried getting into Longest War 2 but it just didn't fit with my available time and some of the ideas didn't jive well with me. I like the idea of three other factions who I have to make nice with or they become enemies. Sounds like if you are friends with thos three new factions you get access to their unique class. I like the sounds of new enemy units and more options to game length and dynamic tactical generation system called SITREP.

The new 'strategic layer' is an intriguing addition. "Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed."

What I'm really looking for is the new relationship mechanic with the XCOM soldiers."Soldiers can develop bonds with compatible teammates for new abilities and perks."

Eager for the return: State of Decay 2 and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

State of Decay was awesome. I didn't play the semi-stand alone DLC Lifeline but I did play the crap out of the original game. It was short but felt rewarding. I'm looking forward to the co-op feature and playing a larger story arc. I like doing things my way and this game allowed me to play at my pace with my own direction.

Shadow of War is the follow up to Shadow of Mordor. It felt like a magic Assassin's Creed with a brilliant enemy mechanic. I like what I see so far with not only working your way up the organic enemy hierarchy but also developing one of your own. Sadly I want more than Orcs, Trolls, and Goblins on my side. I also want Elves and Humans - since there would be less of them, I'd spend more time protecting them over the Orcs, Trolls, and Goblins.

The Dirty Pleasure: Lego Marvel: Super Heroes 2

I'm playing through Lego Marvel Avengers which has been a bit week compared to Lego Marvel Super Heroes which is tied for favorite Lego game (with Star Wars Complete Saga). I'll probably pick this one up but it will be in the same way I picked up the last two - on sale. Lego makes you grind without making it feel like you're grinding. The satisfaction I get from collecting everything has been nice after a hard day where I have little mental juice left to get back into other games.

The Surprise: Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider

This shocked me and I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about it. I'm stuck between 'not a full game that's ok' to 'Sweet crap I'm getting another Dishonored game!'. It's not DLC but a semi-stand alone supplement, Dishonored 2.5 instead of Dishonored 3. It's going to be a few short missions as you play the characters Daud and Billy Lurk (aka Meagan Foster) who were the main player characters from The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches - two of the best DLCs to drop for a game last generation.

I'm looking forward to going back to Dunwall. Maybe players will have the choice to play between Daud and Billy Lurk much like folks had the option between Corvo and Emily in Dishonored 2. I like the mythos that can be felt through the game if you pay attention. If you're just playing Lurk I'm ok with that too.

So E3 so far this is my takeaway.

- Cheers

Dozer