18 May 2017

Another loss - Chris Cornell

I was in the 8th grade. I was looking for something to listen to find my place when it came to music. My friend got a Columbia House subscription and from there I found my spot in the audioverse; Grunge, Industrial, and Metal.

His initial subscription was filled with Metallica, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Ozzy Ozbourne, Sepultura, Moist, and Soundgarden.

Superunknown was the first album I learned all the words to all the songs. I repeated that feat again with Moist's Silver and Nirvana's In Utero.

I added Rage Against the Machine, Temple of the Dog, Tool, Frontline Assembly, KMFDM, Korn, and more over the following years.

I remember when Rage lost Zack de la Rocha, and Chris Cornell came into the picture after spending some time solo, linked up with the band and created Audioslave.

Today lady bear told me that while on tour Soundgarden lost their voice - Chris Cornell died at the age of 52.

You will be remembered you are one of the few that shaped my generation. Rest in peace. For the rest of you enjoy lyrics that changed me.

4th of July by Soundgarden

Shower in the dark day
Clean sparks driving down
Cool in the waterway
Where the baptized drown
Naked in the cold sun
Breathing life like fire
Thought I was the only one
But that was just a lie

Cause I heard it in the wind
And I saw it in the sky
And I thought it was the end
And I thought it was the 4th of July

Pale in the flare light
The scared light cracks & disappears
And leads the scorched ones here
And everywhere no one cares
The fire is spreading
And no one wants to speak about it
Down in the hole
Jesus tries to crack a smile
Beneath another shovel load

And I heard it in the wind
And I saw it in the sky
And I thought it was the end
And I thought it was the 4th of July

Now I'm in control
Now I'm in the fall out
Once asleep but now I stand
And I still remember
Your sweet everything
Light a Roman candle
And hold it in your hand

Cause I heard it in the wind
And I saw it in the sky
And I thought it was the end
And I thought it was the 4th of July

Dozer