19 Jun 2016

You cannot stop us all

Listen to this.

What the hell did you just listen to? Well that was a remix of a NIN (Nine Inch Nails) song that can be found at remix.NIN.com. This was Trent Reznor's big middle finger to the music industry that had started to affect his work. Once Year Zero was launched he started self publishing and this was the first step to sharing his music and letting communities of music fans work on his music to make more music.

It's been a while since I looked there and I started searching for the man and what he was doing. Boy did I stumble on something and it had me starting to think about the internet.




I recently read an interview from Billboard on how music will be getting to folks like you and me. It's interesting to see and participate in this shift from physical sales with industry giant like HMV closing doors to folks like Spotify and Apple Music (which Reznor is the Chief Creative Officer of). Lady Bear is a subscriber to Spotify while I still burn my purchased CD's. I have this strange sense of being left out since I rarely visit the CD/DVD shop and they rarely have the bands I want to pick up on the whim. I need to spend effort to pick up physical copies of my music from places like Amazon because they are the only ones with the physical stock and I live in Canada's forth largest city, Ottawa.

Now outside of this blog my online presence is very small. I have no facebook and my profile on Youtube is almost the same size. I'm only google+ because of this blogg. Only my Linkdin profile has any meat to it and even then that's second to my jobs.gc.ca account and my XBox Live Gold Account. I think I still have a uPlay account with Ubisoft, I know I have an EA Access account and I've only started on Steam since Feb when I got my gaming laptop.

I know I'm not the norm. Folks live off text and facebook, things that I cannot access 7-9 hours a day while I'm at work. I've already mentioned more than once on this blog my issues with folks living online rather than being present here in the real world... and I've acknowledged the hypocrisy of having a blog as well.

I prefer to have the physical copy of my games, TV, movies, and music. I've only recently allowed myself to start slipping into dealing real money for virtual things (or leased not real things) and that a fucking scary though when you think about 'owning' not real stuff with real money.

Well that's the future and I'm trying not to sound old fashioned or like someone rallying against the future and all of its trappings but I'm spending more time in the physical world and less in the virtual world.

Netflix is the banner dug in on the digital distribution parapets. It's keeping hold with exclusive content like Marvel's Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Grace and Frankie, and Longmire plus a slew I'm not giving mention here because the list is getting that fucking long.

Recently post eye surgery I realized that I have not spent a lot of time on my video games. Only in the last couple of weeks have I been playing XCOM 2, with some urging from the Alien Hunter's DLC. I've not touched Fallout 4 since before the first DLC dropped and I have a season pass. Last week I played only the second last episode of Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands. I'm way behind and I've got pre-order in since it was announced for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided that drops this sexy gameplay in just under two months.



That video is almost a year old. Go look up the stuff from E3 2016 and get even more excited like this next video.



Lastly Ubisoft has the next Ghost Recon game, Ghost Recon: Wildlands coming out this November and wow it's looking so much better than the Division. It's still not a MILSim (military simulator) styled game with leathal and unforgiving combat but it looks like a neat game that may pull me back to the series.

In every case and fanboy drool aside, the internet is becoming - or has become, the vehicle to transport our media. If you don't like the idea too bad, with the awesome content coming out it's proving itself more than it's failing at the concept. I have now a few video games that I just downloaded on my XBox One and I started to not feel as awkward with the idea of paying real for not real.

Yet I won't abandon the real world. There is too much around us that I'm still finding. It's sad when you witness so many folks around you looking into their phones at great works of art when the real stuff is so close. The digital age is here and it's becoming stronger just don't forget where you really are...

I'm starting to grasp why I love Cyberpunk so much.

- Cheers

Dozer