15 Jan 2016

Age 69 - Loss

I pulled last minute the post for this half of the week. I was going to write about a person who's inspired me and those people that entertain me. Instead yesterday it happened again.

Two men, great artists in their own right have escape their mortal coil. I cannot place one before the order as they are equals in their own craft. So I list them in the same order I discovered their fate only four days apart.

Mr. David Robert Jones aka David Bowie

Mr. Alan Sidney Patrick Rickman

I will always remember David Bowie for his art. With songs like The Man Who Sold the World, and Under Pressure (w/Queen) and movies like, The Man Who Fell to Earth.

My favorite work of Bowie's was his music video for his hit single I'm Afraid of American's which was my gateway to rest of his work.

I would explore his sounds and later find out the creepy fucker in Labyrinth was David Bowie. Suddenly a cast of musical characters was in front of me. The White Duke, Ziggy Stardust, and the little known Halloween Jack from the album Diamond Dogs.

He would inspire many and I feel that for the youngest of us, Diamond Dogs, the name of the military organization that Snake operates in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is a direct reference to David Bowie.

I first saw Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber in the cult action film Die Hard. This was my first action film I was allowed to watch as a kid with permission - my folks may have had a long night and didn't think about their reply. I also asked my mother, why are we always the bad guys. I asked 'we' because I grew up for quite some time in Germany and my mother is German/Romanian Gypsy. I was learning a quick lesson about how North America looked at us as we were returning to Canada. I was nine years old.

Later on I would learn my first quote I would use still today. "Because it's dull you twit. It'll hurt more." - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Alan Rickman would always be the bad guy and Rickman made them into real villans with twisted complex motivations. I remember him as Elliot Marston in Quigley Down Under, Harry in Love Actually, The Metatron in Dogma and of course Severus Snape in the Harry Potter film franchise.

So two great men, two fantastic artists are gone. They have inspired me through the years. Bowie in looking at more music outside of the small sphere that was NIN led industrial 90's music. Rickman in liking the villans because they are also just as important as the heroes.

This post was going to be about the progress in my projects - but I'll do that next week. Bowie started this post and I'll let him end it with words that have always inspired me.

"We can be heroes, just for one day" - David Bowie, Heroes (1977)

- Rise and take notice

Dozer