3 Oct 2015

What's on my Mind - Ideas

I’m supposed to be writing a post about anything else. Instead I feel my mind fill with a flurry of ideas that escape into my language. The ideas and drafts I had planned for this week fell away to other priorities or simply being not happy with the posts.

I have to work on a new post but instead all this came to mind.


I’m thinking about Dr. Charles Krauthammer, a regular face of intelligence on the various less intelligent FOX news shows. His speech on Democratic Realism is interesting and intelligently wrought. He lays down a good foundation on what the USA is for someone looking into the country that has so much sway in the world. His regular opinion pieces in the Washington Post are well written even if you don't agree with them - a smart conservative that is less FOX and more sensable. Also he's won a Pulitzer Prize so he's good enough to win one of those awards.

I’m going over the results of my last couple of missions in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I’m thinking of different ways to reach my objectives and secondary goals within each of those missions. I marvel at the creative access of the game, being able to airlift a sea container and hold on to escape a combat zone with the stolen supplies is brilliant. When caught in a sniper battle that you want to win without firing a shot is funny. Just target the enemy and drop some supplies on her head – do it twice. It’s easy if you figure out a way to think out of the box.

I’m caught to wonder more about the direction and tone of Jessica Jones, the next Netflix exclusive Marvel TV show in the same vein as the recently lauded Daredevil. Placed in the same shared setting as the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the ABC shows Marvel’s Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and Agent Carter. I like what I see and I want to see more.

I’m annoyed at how well and how excited I am regarding my most recent pledges on Kickstarter. Modiphius fourth Kickstarter, the Infinity RPG is looking great. It’s inspiring me to work on more ideas for the setting crafting adventures and characters in the same way Iron Kingdoms: Full Metal Fantasy did. Battle Chasers is another Kickstarter I’m excited about. Famous 90’s comic artist Joe Mad is still not fully in comics since he left over ten years ago, but he is back with my favorite of his works, Battle Chasers. He’s still making it a game – a Japanese styled Role-Playing Game, but he’s also going back to publishing the next set of stories for those of us who still have our individual issues bagged and boarded. There is also Impudent Mortal’s 28 mm terrain at a bargain price. Harebrained Schemes is back but instead of Shadowrun, where they ran and produced three great games through crowdfunding, they are up with Battletech which earned over a million dollars in less than 24 hours.

I’m happy with my new cedar table (aka Table 2.0) with its 8’x4’ play surface. I’m eager to finish the center shelving and supports with Wolf in the coming days. I’m wow’ed by the sheer size of the thing. Twilight Imperium 3rd edition was considered to be that game that was too big for a dining room table. Table 1.0 held a 8 player game, the largest that Twilight Imperium can throw at you with little issue. When I laid out my 3’x3’ Twilight Imperium play mat from Gripmat it looked small. This table will host games and it will be a place where those things we talk about happened. It reminds me of the first table, Table 0.0, the prototype – Genesis Table.  It was 8’x4’ of plywood and aluminum folding legs, painted sickly bright shade of green. It was an epic table and the setting for many a gaming memory. Hell the beige coloured room was named the Green Room in based on that table’s mere presence.

I love how Lady Bear is watching the stuffing out of Trailer Park Boys after spending some time in the east coast. TV has been pretty good recently. Longmire did well on its fourth season now on Netflix instead of A&E who dropped the show after season three. John Oliver continues to impress and I’m more and more surprised when I have to show off an episode or two to mates who’ve never watched an episode.

That's what's on my mind.

- Cheers

Dozer