1 Apr 2015

Reviews at the speed of Nap - Video Games

Since it’s been a while I’ve decided to go over some of the games I’ve been playing since I moved into the new place and I’ve had some time to putter around with my XBox One.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity

I am a fan of the series. My favorite of the series was the whole Ezio trilogy that started with Assassin’s Creed 2, through Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, and ended in Assassin’s Creed: Revelations. Assassin’s Creed 3 was not my bag of tea but it was a stellar game. Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag was brilliant and awesome. Less Assassin’s Creed and more Sid Myers’ Pirates with the Assassin’s Creed game engine.

When I was looking at Assassin’s Creed: Unity I thought of two things. It’s closer to late 1800’s London – which I’ve been asking to be a setting since the franchise started, and it’s multiplayer co-op. Awesome, until I played it. You have to play the main game to upgrade your character – also upgrades are locked until you reach parts of the story. Some I understand, but all of the upgrades locked down until I reach Part X in the single player co-op is simply wasteful. Brother Bear was going to play a bruiser while I took on the role of lock picking stealthy thief. After a few rounds we discovered that the diversity of the team is only in the one ability you unlock such as resupplying your team or reviving your team. It’s a great idea but sad in execution. Also the main story is confusing, too bad considering the wealth of the setting for the franchise. The controls got a bump they needed, and the gameplay got a next gen touch but there is little outside of OCD that keeps me from going back. Which I havn’t done so – Assassin’s Creed: Unit is so far the only main entry of the series that I have not finished. A first since the series started – sad.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity gets a solid 3. A game that hits all the marks, but fails to reach higher and comes off as a place holder for the next game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition
This game took a few tries for me to finally stick with a character because sometimes the combat gets boring. Unlike the sci-fi franchise Mass Effect, Dragon Age is point and click and cycle through abilities as they recharge. There are some more reactive abilities like the dodges and blocks but meh. The world is brilliant and feels like a bigger Dragon Age: Origins, while the character progression feels like a Dragon Age: 2. The game is solid once you invest into it. Make sure you’re ok with your character or else you’ll get twenty hours in and never go back to the game because you picked the wrong class – that’s happened to me but I jumped back in.

Currently I have a slew of saved hours in the game and they have been rewarding most of the time. A few of the NPC’s and party members are boring – it’s hit or miss for me and Dragon Age NPC’s. The story progressed well and the inclusion of Hawk from Dragon Age: 2 was well done. I also love the Dragon Age online world editor that allows you to change your preset worlds and carry over many of your choices from the previous games.

Dragon Age: Inquisition gets a 4, it well done and above the standard yet some of the misses can be pretty big to some players.

Game of Thornes (Season 1 and Season 2)
This game is a five – simple easy. Its brilliant and I love switching between characters. I love playing and controlling the story as it moves forward.

So that's it, some of the games I’m looking at playing is the Call of Duty Advance Warfare with the Zombie mode and the Battlefield Hardline. Dying Light is another on my gotta play list. Later on there will be a Batman Game and Metal Gear Solid.

- Cheers

Dozer