30 Dec 2014

2014 in Review - part 2 Video Games

Video Games is a tough one this year. It's the year I crossed over into the 8th generation with my XBox: One. Money was also tight until October and most of the games listed below came out after the summer.

Top 3 Games (that Dozer had fun playing)

Number 3 - South Park: The Stick of Truth

This is not the largest or longest RPG that came out this year. It was however, lots of fun. I played through it like a mad man and loved every moment of it even when the comedy had gone to far for my own personal tastes. I've been able to put down Dragon Age: Inquisition, more than once since I picked it up.

It's easy to play and fun to explore the town of South Park. Combat was simple but rewarding and only the fart mechanic was ignored until the end of the game - which in many RPG's there are lists of game systems and mechanics that I simply didn't use through the whole game. Sporting only one unused system is a feather in this games odd paper cap.

Honorable Mention: Dragon Age: Inquisition


Number 2 - Shadow of Mordor


In a year with two Assassin's Creed games I figured this would have at least one of them here but instead its the odd duck from Middle Earth. Shadow of Mordor has been brilliant in side quests, unlocked abilities, and open missions. Armed with a ghost of a powerful Elven lord, I traveled the two areas of Mordor acting like the monster that scared the other monsters.

The combat was rewarding, the collection quests not tedious, the areas reused well each time I had to go back... add in a complex and organic Nemesis system and enemy hierarchy and vola a great bloody game.

Honorable Mention: Assassin's Creed: Unity, Assassin's Creed: Rogue, and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.


Number 1 - Far Cry 4


This is the only game this year that I have been unable to put down. When I picked up my XBox One, I picked up a few games and Far Cry 4 was one of them. I knew little about the story outside of the guy on the box and being in some small country attached to Nepal. When I played the game - I was surprised on how well the story is pulling me into the setting.

If you play this game - at the start you are asked to wait ten minutes. Doing so will be neat and give away some of the major twists of the story but it will make sense. I heard about the easter egg and it was brilliant and has made my current playthrough even more rewarding. I love the connections to Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 - both favorite games of mine.

The world is brilliant and fun to explore, even better than the previous Far Cry games. Each time they have more and more character to the playground in which you go crazy and have all sorts of fun. This Far Cry also has Co-Op play online. Me and the Pale Rider played a few hours where he had first started and I geared up to the half-way point of the game was able to be a real help. I'm looking forward to getting him to help me or to help him complete the fortresses.

Honorable Mention: Sunset OverDrive, Theif, and Spec Ops: The Line