3 Nov 2014

Games Season 2014 - Media

This year is the year of the 8th generation consoles (PlayStation 4, Wii U, and Xbox One) as they show us the games we've been waiting for.

Here is my list of games that are on my radar this fall/winter/spring season.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue (Xbox 360)

The last installment of the Kenway trilogy but without a Kenway to be the main protagonist. It is also designed to bridge the gap between Assassin's Creed 3 and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. While putting pieces in place to support the release of Assassin's Creed: Unity.

It will have improved ship/sea combat and you'll be playing a Templar in this installment while running into supporting characters from AC3 and AC4:BF. This game looks like just as much fun as Assassin's Creed 4, which is my favorite single entry of the whole IP. The Ezio trilogy is my favorite story arc of a single character but that's because I loved playing Ezio as he grew from punk hot headed rookie to full fledged member of the order, to master assassin and rebuilder of the order, and finally into legendary old man assassin - part yoda, part punisher. Brilliant character arc and the games were a blast.

The strange thing with AC: Rogue is it feels like the last game from my current 360. When I think about it, there is nothing left I want for my 360. This is the last game - fitting since I picked up my 360 when Assassin's Creed came out and I've been buying every major release since.


More games after the break 

Assassin's Creed: Unity (Xbox One)

Playing closer to the industrial age is a dream of mine for the series. My favorite location would by late 1800's (1870-1890's) in London, England. The French Revolution is a bit closer and looking damn fine. Old european cities during this time period of history were huge and growing. They started to become the largest cities in the world at this time in history much like the cities from Assassin's Creed (the original game).

The multiplayer looks brilliant and way too much fun. Once Brother Bear is settled and ready, me and him will be playing online together ripping through the multiplayer missions with joy and excitement. This game is the sole factor that made me go towards the 8th generation games.

Some of the gameplay aspects like: crouch stealthing aka sneaking around, skill trees, and improved climbing systems - this game is the upgrade from the current game engine that made AC3, AC4: BF and AC:R that the IP needs. I also hear that combat will be less forgiving and large groups of bad guys will no longer become counter attack parties - but be an actual danger to the player.


Shadows of Mordor (Xbox One)

I know this game is out but the organic hunting and assassination of various orc chain of commands sounds like fun. The reviews are fairly good with emphasis on the combat system and the organic reaction of the orc organizations.

The fitting of the story to be between the two cinematic reveals is neat but otherwise looks pretty generic. It seems this could have been set in any fantasy setting and still be good. The impression I get from the reviews and the trailers is that the setting could have even been a hindrance. Imagine multiple races of monsters from Orcs, Minotaurs, Kobolds, etc... instead of just orcs.

I expect good things from this game.


Dragon Age: Inquisition

I am a Mass Effect fan - so much that I'm blogging a whole run of every game and DLC of the trilogy. Dragon Age at first glance seems or tries to look like a fantasy version of Mass Effect. A few wrong choices with the IP have prevented that level of continuity but the game will well set and has a great story thus far. Dragon Age has been hit and miss with both games - both are great games but nothing close to perfect with plenty of hits to drag it down to a lower score.

Both previous games were never day one pick up purchases. This Dragon Age is the only one that make me feel like it would be worth picking up and playing day one. The gameplay combat looks like an improved version of the Dragon Age 2 combat system. While the characters look far more interesting and diverse, making it more in tune with Dragon Age: Origins. The story seems on par with gritty high fantasy and the levels look like they are interesting enough with plenty of places to roam and travel unlike Dragon Age 2. I hope the character interactions and tight storytelling are more in line with Dragon Age 2 where Dragon Age: Origin had too many ups and downs for my taste.

I've put down a video that goes over the character generation information instead of a fancy trailer.


Far Cry 4 (Xbox One)

Ahh Far Cry - one of my favorite IPs of all time. I've gone into great detail in previous posts on why I loved Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Seriously great fun playing that those FPS sandboxes.

Now we're getting Far Cry 4 and it's been looking good since it was shown. I love exploring whole open world and being able to interact with them in an organic and creative ways.




Dying Light (Xbox One)

I've already posted about this game.

It looks good and it comes out at the end of Jan 2015 - probably the first big game of the year.



Special Mention goes to Sunset Overdrive just released and getting high marks for being simply fun rather then challanging.