19 May 2014

Media Monday - Quote collection

While we walk and talk in this here place and planet, we tend to latch onto sayings that inspire us or drive us towards new thoughts and ideas. This Monday is a bit slow so I've decided to list below some of my favorite quotes that I've collected over the years.

'Gentlemen, progress has never been a bargain. You've got to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man behind a counter who says, "All right, you can have a telephone; but you'll have to give up privacy, and the charm of distance. Madam, you may vote; but at a price; you lose the right to retreat behind a powderpuff or a petticoat. Mister, you may conquer the air; but the birds will lose their wonder, and the clouds will smell of gasoline!" ' - Inherit the Wind

I really love the above quote. After the break there are a slew more.

Cheers

'Love is a source of infinite patience, it is proof that the infinite even exists. For that true feeling of love is greater then anything else we will ever do.' from a moment I had.

'For one human being to love another: that is the most difficult of all our tasks, the ultimate, the last test of proof, that work for which all other work is but preparation.' from Rainer Maria Rilke 

'Signalling is an unglamorous job. I like to think that we have harnessed the power of lightning, that we are the warriors of the electromagnetic spectrum. But mostly we just drink coffee and press buttons. We are seldom mentioned in any historical document, despite our presence on every Canadian battlefield since the First World War. We are a living mean to an end; we are the army's tongue.' from The Patrol: Seven days in the life of a Canadian Soldier in Afghanistan by Ryan Flavelle

'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.' from Voltare

'Mind not only wanders but sometimes leaves completely.' from my coffee cup

'... your Moosie Fate!' from Invader Zim

'bah weep graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong' Universal Greeting from Transformers: the Movie (1986)

'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcissimum pro patria bibere. Ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae.' (in English—it is sweet to die for the homeland, but it is sweeter to live for the homeland, and the sweetest to drink for it. Therefore, let us drink to the health of the homeland)

'I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.' Ralph Nader

'Behold! This microcosmic simulation of the infiltration of a subterranean architectural domain for the twin purposes of the extermination of hostile entities and the seizure of their material goods shall commence.' Vaarsuvivus, Order of the Stick, by Rich Burlew in ref to D&D

'First I want to walk into a bar and drink it. And then I'm going to start a fight with five men and win. And then I am going to going to make use of a truly staggering number of prostitutes. Some of whom I may have once been married to. Following which, I will buy drugs. I will, in fact, show them a large pillowcase, and tell them to fill it with drugs. And I'm putting it all on the god-damned expense account.' Mitchell Royce from Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis.

'But Nature, spent and exhausted, takes lovers back into herself, as if there were not enough strength to create them a second time.' from Rainer Maria Rilke.

'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.' from the Doctor of Doctor Who, Season 3, Episode 10 by Steven Moffat.

'No, I started it years ago in a moment of passion! And I'll end it the same way right here in front of Brock, H.E.L.P.eR., and God!' Dr. "Rusty" Venture from Venture Bros., Season 1, Episode 2.

'We always keep pictures, and it doesn't make us weak, and it doesn't make us sad. It makes us human.' from a moment I had.

'If God wanted me to stop masturbating he should give me a girlfriend.' from oglaf.com (NSFW)

'Now all my nightmares know my name.' - Unknown

'The only people who've not seen Star Wars are the characters from Star Wars who've lived it, lived it!' from Marshal of How I Met Your Mother

'Collateral is my favorite kind of damage so why don't you walk about thirty yards out and stand still for me, 'cause I'm about to drop the hammer and dispense some indiscriminate justice' - a Siege Tank re-mix I made, drawn from Starcraft 1&2 suddenly fitting with Mr. Marcus 'Seige' Brisbane, Cygnar officer from WarMachine by Privateer Press

'Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.' from Albert Einstein