31 Mar 2014

Gift of Music

Hearing loss is far more common than I'd like to admit. In my old full time job, hearing loss was common for folks in my trade. On top of that the work environment could result in a large noises and more than a few folks in my old job after a few decades tend to lose hearing over time.

Large bangs and booms do that to hearing.

It's a scary thing to think of a world without music. Without hearing your love ones familiar voices. The cursing and cues from a great film or video game.

Understanding the loss is possible for a jerk like me. Understanding the scope and gravity of such a gain is outside of my mental and emotional reach. I try but I can't figure it out and I don't think I'd ever be able to fully grasp the whole idea unless I myself lived without hearing.



For my cousin, CP, it's normal life. He and his middle child, Dilly, are both born with Waardenburg syndrome. That includes cool looking hair colours, brilliant blue eyes, and sadly sever and/or total loss of hearing in one or both ears. Dilly was given her first hearing aids at four months old...

Team Dilly - KidsAbility Fun Run
Dilly - the one all in pink on the left being
she always seems to have her head cocked to the side
It's cute - Smile
Dilly was lucky be accepted early in her life with special cybernetics (aka cochlear implants) and she will have near perfect hearing for her whole entire life. She also gets special help from the folks at the KidsAbility center for free in order to help her developing hearing. If you're looking to support a special needs center, look these folks up - they do good work.

Last year they had a fun run and Dilly had a team that supported her by supported the folks who helped.

The nice ladies at the Weather Vain Sisterhood writes lots, and Dilly has been the subject of a post or two.

So why going over this when finner folks have expressed the trials much closer to home and much better in linguistic ability and style?

I saw this video tonight (it's Saturday - 29 March 2014 - 0443 hrs local)


This person, who I don't know at all outside of this video will now be able to enjoy music.

They will be able to hear the sounds carried by winds through trees and over lakes.

They will understand the concept of a whisper and be able to fully appreciate the gentle kiss of rain on the roof.

Jo, as the video explains is her name, will now hear for the rest of her life while she battles on against the things that come to complicate things.

I will never understand this feeling but I'm glad she's able to experience it.

Today I got to see a win - Life needs more of these.