15 Nov 2013

Mutterings from a Friday

Normally my posts are pre-written and go up at 0100 on the day of the posting. Today is an off day so this is going up once I'm done with it. It's a bit of an update of what's what in the life and times.

Work is well work... I'm missing the holidays this year. I'll be getting Boxing Day off but I'll be working my normal hours which is the 4 nights/days before boxing day. This sucks for a few reasons: My wife loves the holiday and I like seeing her happy. I've been cooking the holiday dinner for my family since 2006. We eat rouladen which I make from scratch with Bear family famous calorie 2000 mash potatoes with spatzle that I also make on the spot for the dinner. Brother Bear does the annual cheese sauce experiment where he tries to make cheese sauce from scratch... its a miss mark and he can never get it to his standard but the experiment is always yummy.

Aside from the missing holiday, I'm still doing the job I've been working for a while. It's better than the dole but it's not living. The hours suck and finding time to do what I like to do is getting to me. I've been getting some Magic the Gathering time in on the breaks with a co-worker and I've since gotten back into the game but at a limited scale. The wife is even playing and two weeks ago Wolf and the Pale Rider each picked up at least one pre-made deck.

Since the fall of WB Montreal's Batman: Arkham Origin (and still lacking the patch) I've been dedicated to the world of Sid's Pirates brought to you by Assassin's Creed. Once more the busy season pushes aside another game. Once I'm done AC:4 I'll be going back to GTA V and Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Batman needs a patch before I spend my limited time in the land of electronic Gotham. Only XCOM Enemy Within is drawing my attention and I expect it to be the last of the 7th generation. Not a bad way to end a console generation mind you. LEGO Marvel has been fun and I'm looking forward to playing some more as a break from the West Indies.

Table Top wise my KemVar for MERCS have come in and I'm really looking hard at which of the new Infinity double packs I want to get. I may even ask the wife to pick up a set for a holiday gift. Dreadball season 3 showed up on the doorstep and it's quite the box. I have a few extra's, a few missing and once it's sorted out and finally checked I'll be able to get back to work. I've started to run up a staggering number of completed minis that need dipping over the last pair of months and it's strange since it's normally a large number of minis that need painting. I still have that issue but it's a nice new problem. A dozen privateer press minis, another MERCS faction and some Dreadball are all looking for some time to take a bath and chill out. Once the Dreadball situation is sorted, I'll be looking for a all in one bag that will hold every Dreadball mini, the boards, cards, etc... for an all in one go bag of Dreadball. Battlefoam may be the solution I end up seeking but I'm still searching for some good foam and a better bag.

I've been reading some odd poetry these days but otherwise I'm hitting up my comics which encludes Year Zero Batman and I'm enjoying that run. The team that has been running 'new 52' Flash is leaving so I may go with them. I await what's next for Barry Allen. I've read Batwoman and Capt Marvel (both of which I showed my wife to read and instead have already gone through them) and they have been great. With Nat Portman's character in the recent Thor flick I've been really enjoying some strong female lead comics.

So that's the rundown. The reason for the late post, I've been sick. The guts turned on me on Wed and I had to leave work early. I missed my Thursday night game but I rested with the wife and pooch with some easy LEGO video games.

Got a few posts in the pipe waiting to get the scub, should be out next week.

Cheers.