13 May 2013

Media - Enders Game

So I grew up in a family where everyone read all the sci-fi fantasy classics. Seriously, I read all three lord of the rings novels in a single month in grade 6. That's the age of 11... yet for some odd reason I can't go back to it as if my child's mind was more adaptable to Mr. Tolkien's style.

Yet I was 32 years old when I finally read Ender's Game. My parents had a copy they had read most of Orson Scott Card's works. I was a fan of his work in comics and I knew him and Ender Wiggen to be part of the sci-fi history. I even took a sci-fi lit class in university and I never got around to reading the bloody book.

Of course my wife was giving the genre a good go and one of the books she picked up was Ender's Game. She was half way through when I decided to read it with her. It took me less then a day on the couch as I poured through the book. It was simple, I've sampled some of OSC's work and this was more elementary but also satisfying.

I have no desire to read the rest of the series. Ender's Game seems to be a great one shot book.

I have every desire to see this.






So Mr Ford is back to the nerd genre and he's once more in the classics. If he had fallen into the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit in any way shape or form he would own every nerds soul. Already, he's ladi claim to many characters that have ruled our imaginations.

Does the film look good? Yes

Will it give off the cerebral aspect that permeates the whole novel? I'm not sure if they can pull it off.

The book spends a lot of time in Ender's head and when a film has to do the same thing it suffers. This is a hard task to ask of a film team; director, writer and actor.

I wish them luck.

No go watch the trailer again.

Cheers.