1 Nov 2012

Thursday Thoughts - No Free Rides

As my country starts to move towards our day of remembrance I wonder about the cost of advancement. 

Mother Bear, sent me a youtube link for a movie called Inherit the Wind.

I watched the flick and when I got to the following quote and I started to think.

Progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "All right, you can have a telephone but you lose privacy and the charm of distance. Madam, you may vote but at a price. You lose the right to retreat behind the powder puff or your petticoat. Mister, you may conquer the air but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline."

- Henry Drummond, made famous by Spencer Tracy; a character in Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence



The 'charm of distance', the 'wonder of birds'. Such language lost except for the few examples from the likes of Sorkin, Ellis and Morgan.

Folks the price for what we have is remembering those before us.

If you are a Canadian, weather you support the wars and conflicts that result in the deaths. Give the 
dead a minute, not everyone paid the same price most of us are getting a discount.

I expect to have a Friday post on the use of Poppies, the cost of violence and how that touches everyone else.

Peace