2 Jul 2012

Monday Media Fun - Walking Choices and Us

Now it's Saturday and I'm normally written my posts by now, but this week I'm behind. Normally I'm a week ahead so you'll be putting up with me this week as I hit the road.

For the last week I finally picked up TellTale Games' episodic game The Walking Dead on Xbox Live. I believe it's also on PSN and a few other online game options.

While playing through the well crafted world of survivors in a Zombie apocalypse invented from the crafty minds of Kirkman and co. You find yourself playing the roll of Lee, a convicted man who on the day of his drive off to prison the Zombies hijack the world and you get free... out of the pot into the fire.

Playing Lee has been very interesting and meeting some of the characters from the comic, not the TV show, is kind of neat but they only get used much in the first episode playing up the fan love for the beloved horror comic. Again this game is not from the world of the TV series, that is a whole different beast in its own.

The game play is a flashback to the days of Monkey Island but with a focus on horror over humor and survival over quests. It’s well put together and you stay in the game most times. I play without the on screen prompts for items/places of interest so I do spend time exploring the area if it’s just running the cursor over the landscape.


So is this a game review... nope. It’s a 3, standard fare, well done, nothing fancy.

This is a yammer on the end credits.

As you progress in the game, you make choices and you’re stuck with those choices unless you restart the whole episode over again (I’ve yet to do so, but I think that’s how it works...). When the credits are about to pop on screen you instead get a rundown of some of the choices you made and how it fits against everyone else who’s played the game with a internet connection. You choices get measured against everyone else in the world.

How’s that for cool.

The isolation in the choices I made in the game feel less individual when I compare myself to everyone. It’s more than asking my mates what they did; instead I get feedback from the whole world. It gives me insight to me and the rest of you who’ve finished the game. It’s made me look at my choices and those of the other players and I feel like an individual every time I see when I’m under the curve.

My individuality is explored from the feedback of the game and the isolation seeps away as I find the odd nugget of uniqueness in each episode. The game becomes my own experience and the characters are my own individual people that I sheppard along the way.

Give the game a try if only to see how you take it.